So, I know I’m jumping ahead to what to do with your Thanksgiving leftovers before we’ve even gotten to Thanksgiving itself, but let’s just say that I had a bunch of mashed potatoes left over from a little culinary project I made recently. Tempted as I was to just drown those mashed potatoes in some mushroom gravy, I decided I actually wanted to do something with them, something that did not involve a shepherd’s pie, because everyone and their vegan grandma makes a shepherd’s pie with their leftover potatoes. Not that I don’t love a shepherd’s pie, because believe me, I do, but I just wanted to do something a little different. Like a fried croquette!
This made a super quick weeknight meal, and I cheated a little bit because I bought the Golden Curry mix and just made it according to the package directions. It’s like a gravy, only much spicier and so delicious with the potatoes.
Fried Potato Croquettes with Golden Curry
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/4 cup chopped vegan ham
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes, cold (great if you made them with plenty of vegan butter, cream, & spices)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup panko bread crumbs
vegetable oil for frying
1 package Japanese Golden Curry sauce mix
1. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion 3-4 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add mixed vegetables, saute another 2 minutes. Add chopped ham, saute another minute.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes with vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. I found that the croquettes were easier to form if you put the mixture into the freezer for a few minutes at this point, so that it chills a little bit and firms up.
3. Pour enough vegetable oil in your same non-stick skillet to have a thin layer on the bottom (no more than 1/4 inch), heat on high. Use about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture to form into disk-shaped patties roughly 1 inch thick.
4. Have your panko bread crumbs in a medium sized bowl. Dip patties into panko and coat thoroughly on all sides. Fry in oil until you can see the sides turning brown and crispy, then flip and fry on other side.
5. Make golden curry sauce according to package directions. Serve over the potato croquettes.